MommySecrets

Being a mom is the hardest thing I've ever done, but it has brought me so much joy! I want to encourage other moms on their journey, I'll share motherhood tricks, spotlight tips I've learned from friends, and I hope you will share your ideas. I will focus on secrets that help families stay balanced, healthy, frugal, creative, and closely knit. I will also share favorite fiction and nonfiction books that I have enjoyed. Many blessings to you on your mothering journey!

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

I just read "Don't Make Me Count to Three!" by Ginger Plowman. I loved it! It's full of practical suggestions and scenarios that help parents think through discipline that affects a child's heart, not just his behavior. If you've seen Ted Tripp's book, "Shepherding a Child's Heart", it's similar, but it gives more ideas for execution, instead of just theories. It's a quick & easy read, that I'll refer to for many years. I even laughed aloud at some of her stories.

Best take-home points:
**Tons of scripture to reinforce teaching points with children - very convicting for the parents, in that we need to be absorbing God's word!
**The cycle of discipline
  1. ask questions to help your child see the error of his heart/behavior
  2. share scripture that tells us it's wrong to do xyz
  3. educate your child on the proper behavior (inlcuding role playing, scripture...)
  4. discipline/spank
  5. comfort and forgive
  6. make retribution

**She includes a great chart with typical behavior patterns and corresponding verses.

She included a verse (Gal 6:9?) that encouraged me - "Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest, if we do not give up!"

Wishing you strength in parenting!
ann

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home