MommySecrets

Being a mom is the hardest thing I've ever done, but it has brought me so much joy! I want to encourage other moms on their journey, I'll share motherhood tricks, spotlight tips I've learned from friends, and I hope you will share your ideas. I will focus on secrets that help families stay balanced, healthy, frugal, creative, and closely knit. I will also share favorite fiction and nonfiction books that I have enjoyed. Many blessings to you on your mothering journey!

Monday, February 13, 2012

Book Review: Straight to the Heart Study on Acts



I’ve been totally enjoying the reading of the Acts Bible Study from the Straight to the Heart series by Phil Moore.  There are 60 “bite size readings”, with each being 5-10 minutes long. The writing is bold, unique and filled with scripture.  I really enjoy reading the background of the scripture passages, as well as the practical applications he includes in each reading.  I’ve found myself taking notes and thinking of quotes to share via facebook, twitter and email.   The readings are empowering and inspirational – designed to reawaken believers to the power of Christ yearning to work through us in our daily lives.
Here is how Phil introduces the book of Acts:  In 30AD, Jesus of Nazareth looked to have been an utter failure. If you don’t understand that, then you will miss the message of the book of Acts. It is a record of survival through adversity, triumph against all odds, and victory snatched from the jaws of defeat. It is the story of a group of ordinary people who turned the tide of history through the power of their extraordinary God.  His theme is that Acts wasn’t just written as a tale of the early church, but as a challenge for churches today.

Click here to see all the titles in this series, and download preview pages from the books.
I would highly recommend this as a devotional, a Bible study help, or just something to read.  It would also work for a group Bible study or small group, with members reading the entire chapter of scripture during the week, and one teacher leading the group through Phil’s text.  It’s for men, women or mature teens.  I look forward to checking out the other books in the series!


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home