MommySecrets

Being a mom is the hardest thing I've ever done, but it has brought me so much joy! I want to encourage other moms on their journey, I'll share motherhood tricks, spotlight tips I've learned from friends, and I hope you will share your ideas. I will focus on secrets that help families stay balanced, healthy, frugal, creative, and closely knit. I will also share favorite fiction and nonfiction books that I have enjoyed. Many blessings to you on your mothering journey!

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Packing

Start making your list early - keep a post it note with packing items in your calendar. If you can mull over your list for a week or two, you're much more likely to remember everything.

On my packing list, I make several columns:
  • Kids (clothes, underwear, meds, toothbrushes, blankets...)
  • Baby (because her packing needs are so different from the other kids)
  • Me (clothes, toiletries, books, meds, jewelry, shoes...)
  • Car or Plane (includes entertainment stuff, diaper bag, maps and cooler)
  • Other (beach stuff, lake stuff, hostess gifts...)
I like to start packing early, as well. I try to set out clothes a few days before the trip - so I have everything washed & matching, ready to go. Sometimes I pack things early in the suitcases, but often I just starting putting our travel items in a laundry basket, so I can easily see what I have/need. And of course, you must remember to mark things off the list, as you pack them!

If we're traveling in the evening, I'm going to try to start packing one bag for everything the kids need before bed. Then we can pull sleepy kids and one small suitcase out of the car, and easily transfer everyone to bed. I haven't done this before, but I think it will make transitions much easier!

I pack the car/plane entertainment at least one week before travel, so I can maximize the toy's entertainment value on the trip. If the kids haven't played with the toys in a while, they'll probably play with them longer in the car.

Books on tape have been great for our travels! Especially when the kids reach age 4.

Pack as lightly as possible. On a long trip, try to do laundry halfway through. If you can use the stroller as a highchair for a few days, it's worth the extra car space to leave the highchair at home. Do you need to pack 3 pairs of shoes for each person? Might your hostess have a pack-n-play that the baby could borrow? Be creative!

Happy Labor Day!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger ChickenMama said...

I do some of those same things. I have to report that one "overnight" bag with everyone's things is well worth the effort. Once you arrive somewhere, it saves hauling everything in, maximizes visit time with the host/hostess, and saves having to repack the whole car the next day. (We stop at in-laws houses on the way to the beach each year, so we are traveling on the next day).

Also, I keep one bag in a closet that has toys (Color Wonder art, mini-potato heads, etc) that we ONLY play with on car trips or sitting in waiting rooms. Makes the kids actually look forward to doctor visits.

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home