MommySecrets

Being a mom is the hardest thing I've ever done, but it has brought me so much joy! I want to encourage other moms on their journey, I'll share motherhood tricks, spotlight tips I've learned from friends, and I hope you will share your ideas. I will focus on secrets that help families stay balanced, healthy, frugal, creative, and closely knit. I will also share favorite fiction and nonfiction books that I have enjoyed. Many blessings to you on your mothering journey!

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Kid's Movies

Dora and Diego movies are a big hit in my house these days. And I'm okay with that, because they are really well done. I teach a lot about the developmental assets - building blocks that all kids need to succeed. Here are some of the asset categories, and examples of ways the Dora movies help to build assets in kids. Isn't it nice when media reinforces the things we want to teach our children?!!

Support - young people need to be surrounded by people who love, care for, appreciate and accept them. Dora & Diego are surrounded by a strong system of support.

Empowerment - young people need to feel valued and valuable. This happens when youth feel safe and respected. Dora & her friends use their unique skills and talents to make a difference. They encourage each other to try new things and courageously complete their tasks.

Constructive Use of Time - young people need opportunities - outside of school - to learn and develop new skills and interests with other youth and adults. Creative activities are a BIG component of this asset category, and Dora encourages creativity through music, drama, and role playing

Commitment to Learning - young people need a sense of the lasting importance of learning and a belief in their own abilities. I love that Dora teaches songs and Spanish!!

Positive Values - young people need to develop strong guiding values or principles to help make healthy life choices. Really good morals are represented in Dora movies.

Social Competencies - young people need the skills to interact effectively with others, to make difficult decisions, and to cope with new situations. The movies model the kind of healthy relationships I want my chidren to have.

Positive Identity - young people need to believe in their own self-worth and to feel that they have control over the things that happen to them. The Dora character invites children to participate in the storylines and celebrates the contributions they make to the successful adventure. I love the way my kids beam with pride while watching the movies.


I don't think I've ever praised a secular kid's movie series this much - I'm pretty picky about movies, books and toy! So if you don't have Nickelodeon, drop by your library to check them out for free!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy are we cut from the same cloth! I love your analysis of what's great about Dora. She is a big hit in our home and another thing that I love is her use of maps in every episode. When my girls were younger, we would create our own map before we left to run errands (i.e. grocery store, bread store, library). - Shannon

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home