Help me not to give them what they can earn for themselves
Help me not to tell them what they can look up for themselves.
Help me to help my children stand on their own two feet and to grow into responsible, disciplined adults.
So what does that mean practically?
- Letting them fail sometimes, then supporting them as they get back up
- Giving them chores and responsibilities according to their developmental levels
- Taking extra time when teaching, in order to ASK questions instead of GIVING answers
- Turning their questions around, to ask, "What do YOU think?"
- Having high expectations for their behavior
- Believing that they are able to accomplish what they set out to do.