MommySecrets

Being a mom is the hardest thing I've ever done, but it has brought me so much joy! I want to encourage other moms on their journey, I'll share motherhood tricks, spotlight tips I've learned from friends, and I hope you will share your ideas. I will focus on secrets that help families stay balanced, healthy, frugal, creative, and closely knit. I will also share favorite fiction and nonfiction books that I have enjoyed. Many blessings to you on your mothering journey!

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Learning to Draw

 
 
It's hard to learn to draw on your own, but with step-by-step tutorials, drawing simple designs is very doable.  Here are some of the simple drawing books that we've collected over the years, and you can find many more tutorials online.  When one of the kids wants to learn to draw something, like a cat, we simply google "how to draw a cat", then look at the images 'til we find one we want to draw.  When my daughter started her craze over Hello Kitty, we headed straight to google to learn how to draw Hello Kitty.
 
The result?  A bank of simple images that your child can draw.  They can use the talent to impress their friends, doodle in a notebook, or make thank you cards.  But there's more.  Following these tutorials is a simple and strategic lesson in following directions - the better your follow the directions the better your drawing will be!  And there is an immediate gratification for following those directions!  Shhh - don't tell my kids!
 


Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Harmony Harrison said...

I like your idea of googling for drawing tutorials. I've been teaching myself to draw, mostly through playing around with a little help from library books. But I hadn't thought about googling a tutorial! Thank you for the tip. I just googled "how to draw a cat" and am off to have some fun...

12:33 PM  
Blogger Kelly L McKenzie said...

I can use these lessons nevermind my kids. Off to google how to draw a dog. Thank you so much for the tip!

3:27 PM  
Anonymous debbie said...

We google lessons on the piano but forgot to apply the knowledge to drawing. Off to google how to get a smooth finish with encaustic paints. Bravo for your idea!

3:31 PM  
Blogger Ann @TheAssetEdge said...

I'm so glad you have all been inspired to draw! :) Debbie, my 12 year old has been using youtube to learn popular piano songs - what sites does your family use?

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Christie said...

I have a book that just came from Amazon this week - "20 Ways to Draw a Tree". I'm a big kid. I will be using Google now too, thank you for the fabulous tip!

5:57 PM  
Blogger Susan Michael Barrett said...

First, I'm with Kelly--these tutorials are for me, too! Thank you!

Youtube is such an amazing resource for art-making skills. PLUS, I believe this--creating a work of art can be an act of love. It nourishes me (and often others).

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home