MommySecrets

Being a mom is the hardest thing I've ever done, but it has brought me so much joy! I want to encourage other moms on their journey, I'll share motherhood tricks, spotlight tips I've learned from friends, and I hope you will share your ideas. I will focus on secrets that help families stay balanced, healthy, frugal, creative, and closely knit. I will also share favorite fiction and nonfiction books that I have enjoyed. Many blessings to you on your mothering journey!

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Baby Flight Strategies

It always makes me nervous to fly with children. I'm not a generally nervous/uptight person, so it's odd that I get so nervous about it. I worry that they'll be loud, disobedient and out-of-control - and it's difficult to discipline effectively on the airplane. I guess my nervousness stems from pride - I want my kids to be well-behaved, so I can appear to be a good mom. Sin is ugly, isn't it?

The way I deal with my nervousness is to make a game plan. So here are some of the things we did to help the baby (11months) on this weekend's flight:

  • Board first on Southwest and pray for an empty seat (Children under 2 don't need to purchase a seat, but if the flight is full, they have to sit in your lap.)
  • Let her stand up in your lap, and watch all the people enter the plane. (The lap trays are usually strong enough to support a baby's weight, so this works well for standing)
  • Let the baby flirt with friendly passengers.
  • Some friendly passengers might even want to hold/entertain your baby for a little while.
  • Let her flip through the magazines - point to key words, let her help turn the pages, let her crinkle the pages, let her play with the little postcard inserts
  • Let her explore the snack pack - touching, tasting, shaking, rattling, scooting...
  • Ask the flight attendant about the best place to change a diaper - some planes have changing tables in the restrooms!
  • Take a ziplock bag full of munchies, as well as food for any meals during the flight.
  • Give the baby a pacifier and/or bottle during take-off and landing (this keeps their ears from hurting)
  • Take a bag of small multi-purpose toys. I try to take toys that have at least 2 ways to entertain - shaking, stacking, making noise, turning over, hiding...
  • Add 1-2 board books - read them, point to key pictures, play the drums on the cover, turn the pages...
  • Remember your baby games - peek-a-boo, find mommy's nose, rhymes, songs...
  • Encourage her to sleep. It might require extra snuggling, pacifying, singing...
  • Laugh and make the best of it!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, friend. One addition... buy new little toys at Dollar Tree and wrap them each individually with lots of tape so it takes time to open the "gifts." One of N's favorites: a 10-pack of combs (but take the two pointy ones out first). Hours of entertainment. And later you'll always be able to find a comb in any room in the house!
~ Jennie

11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home