MommySecrets

Being a mom is the hardest thing I've ever done, but it has brought me so much joy! I want to encourage other moms on their journey, I'll share motherhood tricks, spotlight tips I've learned from friends, and I hope you will share your ideas. I will focus on secrets that help families stay balanced, healthy, frugal, creative, and closely knit. I will also share favorite fiction and nonfiction books that I have enjoyed. Many blessings to you on your mothering journey!

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Chicken Tortilla Soup

My kids don't love soup, but I like to make it on cold winter days. I also like taking it to potlucks or cooking it when people come over for dinner. It's inexpensive to cook, it's quite filling, it smells great in the house, and most people love the warm cozy feeling of eating hot soup.

I made this soup for our church community group tonight. It was a big hit!

1 pound chicken breasts (frozen or thawed)
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 can of corn
1 can of black beans
1 (10 oz) can red enchilada sauce
2 cups water
1 (14.5 oz) can chicken broth
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (4 oz) can chopped green chiles
1 teaspoon minced garlic (the refrigerated kind)
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 bay leaf

Put all ingredients together in a crockpot. Cook on low for 3-4 hours. Pull out the chicken and shred it into small pieces. Put the chicken back in the pot and cook for another 3-4 hours on low. Serve with tortilla chips and shredded cheese. (serves 8)

Thank you for all the comments on goody bags this weekend. It greatly encourages me when you leave comments. Blogging is a piece of my ministry to moms, and your comments help me know that I'm 'on track'. I know that sounds a little silly, but the gift of 'encouraging words' is my love language (from Gary Chapman's book), so your words mean a lot to me. Thanks! :)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home