MommySecrets

Being a mom is the hardest thing I've ever done, but it has brought me so much joy! I want to encourage other moms on their journey, I'll share motherhood tricks, spotlight tips I've learned from friends, and I hope you will share your ideas. I will focus on secrets that help families stay balanced, healthy, frugal, creative, and closely knit. I will also share favorite fiction and nonfiction books that I have enjoyed. Many blessings to you on your mothering journey!

Saturday, June 06, 2009

God is Big

My DH and I have been reading “Our Daily Bread” together each night (well, almost each night!) since Thanksgiving. We’ve really enjoyed reading Scripture together throughout the week, and pondering more Spiritual things together. If you are looking for a quick devotional to do with your spouse, this is a good place to start. You can order a free copy at www.rbc.org or pick one up at church.

From June 1’s reading in “Our Daily Bread”:
“Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever You had formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, You are God.” Psalm 90:2

“From the old hymn, “Crown Him With Many Crowns”: “Crown Him the Lord of years, the Potentate / [poht-n-teyt] of time.” A potentate is a sovereign, a monarch, an anointed majesty – one who does not seek appointment or run for elections.”

“Our days and years are in the hands of our eternal God.”

What would it mean if I understood the hugeness and sovereignty of God? How would that affect my daily life?

sov·er·eign (American Heritage Dictionary)
n.
1. One that exercises supreme, permanent authority, especially in a nation or other governmental unit, as:
a. A king, queen, or other noble person who serves as chief of state; a ruler or monarch.
b. A national governing council or committee.
2. A nation that governs territory outside its borders.
3. A gold coin formerly used in Great Britain.
adj.
1. Self-governing; independent: a sovereign state.
2. Having supreme rank or power: a sovereign prince.
3. Paramount; supreme: Her sovereign virtue is compassion.

sovereign (Collins Essential Thesaurus )
adjective 1. supreme, ruling, absolute, chief, royal, principal, dominant, imperial, unlimited, paramount, regal, predominant, monarchal, kingly or queenly
adjective 2. excellent, efficient, efficacious, effectual
noun 3. monarch, ruler, king or queen, chief, shah, potentate, supreme ruler, emperor or empress, prince or princess, tsar or tsarina

So what - how should God's sovereignty impact my state of mind?
I should be more peaceful. I should be less afraid. I should not fret. I shouldn't feel pressed to plan things to an extraordinary degree. I shouldn't worry about the little things - or the big things. If I took time to list all the things that I shouldn't worry/fret about, this would be a very long post, but you get the gist of it.

Lord Jesus, please remind me to trust in your GREATNESS and in your love for me, so I can spend all my energy loving you and loving others, instead of letting life's worries and concerns zap my strength and energy!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Mary Smith said...

Thanks for this inspirational post. God is Big. Wise words!

11:01 PM  
Blogger Courtney (Women Living Well) said...

Amen Sister! And it AWESOME to hear that you are reading with your husband - that is so rare - what a blessing to have a solid marriage where you can share in that way!!! Thanks for sharing!

6:17 AM  
Blogger WordGirl said...

Great post! Of course, I love that you used definitions to help you ponder the word sovereign. I think pondering is a part of God's plan that we often overlook. We get so busy with "real life" that we don't stop to ponder the truly important things. Thanks for encouraging us all to do that.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Ann @TheAssetEdge said...

Shannon, I thought of you as I was looking up the definitions and writing the post. You are definitely my word girl friend!

Courtney, my DH has blessed me so much this year by pursuing scripture together - I'm very grateful!

You are making me think that I should be sharing more devotional thoughts online. That would definitely hold me accountable to digging deep in Scripture!

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home