MommySecrets

Being a mom is the hardest thing I've ever done, but it has brought me so much joy! I want to encourage other moms on their journey, I'll share motherhood tricks, spotlight tips I've learned from friends, and I hope you will share your ideas. I will focus on secrets that help families stay balanced, healthy, frugal, creative, and closely knit. I will also share favorite fiction and nonfiction books that I have enjoyed. Many blessings to you on your mothering journey!

Sunday, May 14, 2006


I Love to Read!

With 2.5 little ones and a part-time job, I don't have a lot of time to read. When I do read, I like to know that I'm putting 'good food' into my brain, so I read books on parenting, home management, education, and Christian fiction. Okay, I also LOVE good mystery novels, like Dan Brown and Patricia Cornwell!

Francine Rivers is one of my favorite Christian novelists. Her books are historical fiction that cover a broad range of topics. She has a powerful trilogy, called "Mark of the Lion", the story of a Jewish Christian girl living in Rome during the time of Paul. It's filled with battles and romance, so it's a good read for a couple. Her words really stick with you throughout the day, and challenge your perspective.

She has a series of five novellas that feature biblical women in the genealogy of Christ: Tamar, Rahab, Ruth, Bathsheba, and Mary. These are all common women that God used to make a powerful mark on history. They are short quick reads with a discussion guide at the end - great for book clubs!

She is in the middle of writing a companion series on great heroes of the faith: Aaron the priest, Caleb the warrior, Jonathan the prince, Amos the prophet, and Silas the scribe. Again, men that are often overlooked, but men that God used mightily to change the course of history.

My favorite of her stand alone novels is "Redeeming Love," a modern-day retelling of Hosea. It's very convicting, very affirming, and very challenging.

You can read more about her books at www.francinerivers.com, or put one of her books on hold at your library.

Time to go play with kiddos.

Happy reading!
ann

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home