MommySecrets

Being a mom is the hardest thing I've ever done, but it has brought me so much joy! I want to encourage other moms on their journey, I'll share motherhood tricks, spotlight tips I've learned from friends, and I hope you will share your ideas. I will focus on secrets that help families stay balanced, healthy, frugal, creative, and closely knit. I will also share favorite fiction and nonfiction books that I have enjoyed. Many blessings to you on your mothering journey!

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

First time obedience

We've been struggling with our 2.5 yr old this month. He is testing our limits to the nth degree!

One of the readings from my church small group this week was Colossians 3:20, "Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord." A kid friendly phrase came to mind, when I read that scripture.

"Obey, and have a good day"

I know, it way oversimplifies the scripture. But God says he is pleased with our obedience. He will bless us when we are obedient. Not necessarily blessing us with a happy and easy life, but with a good and abundant life. Things will be well in our hearts, therefore things will be well in our lives.

But toddlers can understand the simple phrase, after it's repeated a few times. They will eventually understand that first time obedience leads to a happy mom, which leads to a spanking-free experience, which leads to a happy afternoon.

So that's our phrase for the week - "Obey, and have a a good day."

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotta try this one! Our 2.5-year-old is struggling with this, too. For her, I think I'll have to change it to "Listen, obey, and have a good day!" Listening is a big part of the challenge here.

7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting timing. I was just now going back over some notes I took at an Above Rubies conference a month or so ago. That must be where the "listening" concept stuck in my head. Nancy Williams said before you teach your children to obey, you have to teach them how to listen. "Listen and obey" is mentioned over and over in the Bible ("Hearken and obey," "If you have ears to hear," etc.). Nancy suggested getting them to respond to you by having them repeat back what you said, perhaps even getting down on their level while you're training them. I've been doing this with Cate and requiring her to look me in the eye as we communicate about something. It's funny because lately, she's been repeatedly picking the same story for naptimes and bedtimes: "Listen Buddy!" It's about "the Bunnyrabbit who never listens" and gets himself in a tangle with the Scruffy Varmint ... after which he learns to listen and carefully obey his parents. :-D You think this will all stick one of these days?

8:46 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I like your phrase! I think that this is something that so many moms {myself included} struggle with: first time obedience. I was just telling my sister-in-law that if it takes me asking my child three times to do something, it is only because I have trained her not to obey the first time. Shame on me! Thanks for the post ;>)

9:23 AM  
Blogger Ann @TheAssetEdge said...

Rebecca, I falsely train my children all the time. I really have to remind myself about the first-time obedience constantly.

I've been Christy's modified phrase (thanks Christy!) "Listen, obey, and have a great day". (and doing a good share of natural consequences and spanking).

Motherhood is not for the faint-hearted - we have to be tough!

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home