MommySecrets

Being a mom is the hardest thing I've ever done, but it has brought me so much joy! I want to encourage other moms on their journey, I'll share motherhood tricks, spotlight tips I've learned from friends, and I hope you will share your ideas. I will focus on secrets that help families stay balanced, healthy, frugal, creative, and closely knit. I will also share favorite fiction and nonfiction books that I have enjoyed. Many blessings to you on your mothering journey!

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Potty Training Might Kill Me

As I'm writing, my 3.5 year old son is sitting on the potty, trying (well at least he's supposed to be trying) to go poopy. He's sitting there because he just pooped in his pants for the 6-7th day in a row.

He's been 85% potty trained since he turned 3, but we've majorly digressed in the last 2 weeks. (The only major life change is that his big brother (age 6) is home for the summer - perhaps my 3.5 yr old just wants more attention.) So we've gone from his beloved "big boy pants" in Lightning McQueen print to pull-ups. But he doesn't care. He doesn't care whether he's doing 'baby' things or big boy independent things. He doesn't care about getting incentives for pooping in the potty. I'm at a total loss.

Perhaps I need to re-evaluate. Am I angry because it's an inconvience to change his poopy pants, or am I concerned for his overall development? Am I giving him enough time, attention and love? Am I encouraging him to be independent in age-appropriate ways? Am I being grateful that at least he chooses to pee in the potty, instead of his pants?

So I fall on my knees, again, admitting that I can't do this mommy-thing by myself. I need sovereign help. I need God's patience, God's wisdom, and God's endurance to be a good mommy. So perhaps this is the perspective change I need - a reminder that I'm not supposed to be a mommy in my own strength. I'm supposed to be a mommy depending on the Lord's indwelling strength minute-by-minute. Oh, that's opposite of my independent nature!!

I'd appreciate your prayers and ideas!

Humbly,

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no "words of wisdom" only my deepest sympathy. I've been there and know how frustrating it can be! God give you grace!

6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home