My friend Michelle brought a wonderful cake to Bible study last week. It was Southern Living's Buttermilk Breakfast Cake. She says that it's easy to make; it's beautiful; and it's super yummy!
1 (18.25 oz.) white cake mix
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup melted butter
5 large eggs
3 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tbsp. granulated sugar
Buttermilk-Vanilla Glaze (recipe following)
1. Preheat oven to 350. Beat first 3 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer 1 1/2 minutes or until thoroughly blended; add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
2. Stir together brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
3. Grease a 12-cup Bundt pan with shortening; sprinkle with 1 tbsp. granulated sugar.
4. Spoon 1/3 of batter into prepared pan; sprinkle brown sugar mixture evenly over batter. Top with remaining batter.
5. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack, and cool 20 minutes. Drizzle Buttermilk-Vanilla Glaze over slightly warm cake.
Makes about 1/3 cup
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp melted butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 to 2 tbsp buttermilk
1. Stir together first 3 ingredients and 1 tbsp buttermilk until smooth, adding additional 1 tbsp. buttermilk if necessary.