MommySecrets

Being a mom is the hardest thing I've ever done, but it has brought me so much joy! I want to encourage other moms on their journey, I'll share motherhood tricks, spotlight tips I've learned from friends, and I hope you will share your ideas. I will focus on secrets that help families stay balanced, healthy, frugal, creative, and closely knit. I will also share favorite fiction and nonfiction books that I have enjoyed. Many blessings to you on your mothering journey!

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Chores = Brains

I think it's important for even young children to learn simple household chores. We do chores together (laundry, dishes, silverware, toys), and make it fun. But until today, I didn't think about the educational value of chores.

1. Responsibility and perseverance. These skills will lead to a much better chance at academic success.
2. Classifying and sorting skills lead to mathematical intelligence. So sorting silverware, groceries, toys, and laundry is a big help for foundational skills.
3. Patterns will help with math skills. So let them set the table and learn about sequencing.
4. Putting away the groceries can teach nutritional awareness - a part of science.

I'll have to keep thinking, as we go empty the dishwasher!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home