MommySecrets

Being a mom is the hardest thing I've ever done, but it has brought me so much joy! I want to encourage other moms on their journey, I'll share motherhood tricks, spotlight tips I've learned from friends, and I hope you will share your ideas. I will focus on secrets that help families stay balanced, healthy, frugal, creative, and closely knit. I will also share favorite fiction and nonfiction books that I have enjoyed. Many blessings to you on your mothering journey!

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Filling Prescriptions?

I need some help. We're converting our health insurance over to an HSA plan. The only medication I regularly take is my birth control pill. Since they will no longer be $10/month with the new insurance plan, I'm searching for ways to get discounts on prescribed drugs. I know I could try the natural birth control method via counting, but we've already had 2 surprise babies, so I probably shouldn't try that route! :)

Have you heard any good advice?
Do you know good websites/books that I should read to glean more info?
Is there a place where adults can get free birth control pills?

Many questions today. :)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey girl

Wal-mart has a commericial that all prescriptions are just $4. There was a sign up at our pharmacy about it. Might check that.
Any Planned Parenthood center should offer free birth control - no questions asked. There is one in your town, just not sure where.

9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and if you didn't try the natural method before and want to explore that - let me know. It really doesn't have to do with counting. If you are counting that you ovulate the 14th day every month, you could be wrong. For me, i ovulate around teh 18th - so if we went by the standard, we would of missed it each month - ovulation. You have to learn your cycle first to know what type you are..maybe you already know this, not sure.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I don't know what you mean by "counting" but if you are interested in a natural method, the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" is invaluable. I have used this method for 3 years now & have only gotten pregnant when I wanted to! It is more about taking your basal body temperature and checking your fluids. It is really even more effective {when done properly} and better for you than hormones. If you want more info, feel free to ask!

Good luck with your new insurance!

8:10 AM  
Blogger Joanna said...

My health insurance doesn't cover birth control. :-/ The least expensive place we've found to get it is mail-order from Canada. It sounds sketchy, but it works. 3 months for $48, which is better than the 1 month/$45 at my local pharmacy. And I don't have to get order it as often!

Wal-mart only has generic medicines for $4, and my prescription has no generic equivalent. I do not know if that's the case with every birth control medicine.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Joanna said...

I should say, just recently, we tried to get a reimbursement from our FSA (like an HSA, but expires every year & has no employer contribution) and they didn't reimburse from Canadian pharmacies. I did the math and figured out that the pre-tax savings using FSA money at my local pharmacy still wasn't as good as the lower price from Canada. You can do your own research- it might not be the same for you.

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home