MommySecrets

Being a mom is the hardest thing I've ever done, but it has brought me so much joy! I want to encourage other moms on their journey, I'll share motherhood tricks, spotlight tips I've learned from friends, and I hope you will share your ideas. I will focus on secrets that help families stay balanced, healthy, frugal, creative, and closely knit. I will also share favorite fiction and nonfiction books that I have enjoyed. Many blessings to you on your mothering journey!

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Lessons Learned from the Great Depression

I just read a great article on Wikihow, titled "How to Apply Lessons Learned from the Great Depression". I feel funny posting it on Christmas Eve, but I couldn't wait to share the article with you. It talks about personal finances, spending, relationships, teaching children about money, home/car/clothing repairs, hypermiling (one of my DH's hobbies), meal preparation, recycling, and being grateful.

I continue to be grateful that frugality has been a long-time habit in our home. It has made this year's economy much easier to swallow. And I'm thankful to be able to share the simple tips I've learned with other moms - new moms, as well as moms with larger spending habits. I know so many of you are wise with your purchases and the way you manage your homes. I hope you are using those skill sets to nurture the women around you!

I also wanted to share a tidbit that my husband wrote in our Christmas letter. I cried when I read the letter, because it felt like such a perfect message to share with friends and family.
However, the neat thing about even these lean times economically is that there is never any doubt about who we live our life for. This season, the Savoir whose birth we are celebrating this season, will surely guarantee you eternal life if you place your faith in Him. Unlike sub-prime loans, the stock market, or the value of the dollar, trust in Him who will never fail or forsake you. The honor of worshipping him in heaven for eternity is much better than even seeing the Dow move past 14,000. If you don’t know Him, please ask us how you can have the joy we have in these down times!

If you already know Jesus, I hope you can be a light of his hope, joy, and peace during these topsy-turvy economic times (and always!). And especially this Christmas!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home