MommySecrets

Being a mom is the hardest thing I've ever done, but it has brought me so much joy! I want to encourage other moms on their journey, I'll share motherhood tricks, spotlight tips I've learned from friends, and I hope you will share your ideas. I will focus on secrets that help families stay balanced, healthy, frugal, creative, and closely knit. I will also share favorite fiction and nonfiction books that I have enjoyed. Many blessings to you on your mothering journey!

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Cooking from the Garden: Tomato Pie

I just found this recipe at HomeEc101 - it looks fantastic and I can't wait to make it for my tomato-loving parents this weekend!

If you haven't ever visited HomeEc101's site, make a point to visit today. It's a great place to learn everything you need to know about keeping your home in top notch shape without the Martha Stewart stress. I love reading their almost daily posts.

1 9" pie crust
4 very ripe tomatoes ~peeled, cored, and sliced
1/2 medium onion
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
3 slices bacon crumbled
3 TBSP mayonnaise
1 tsp dried basil divided
salt/pepper to taste


Place the peeled and sliced tomatoes in a colander over a large bowl or the sink, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Allow to sit while preparing the other ingredients.
Preheat the oven to 425F. Slice the onion very thinly.

In a bowl combine the cheese, bacon, and 3TBSP mayo. Mix thoroughly.
Carefully lay the bottom pie crust in a 9″ pie plate. Arrange a layer of tomatoes, sprinkle with half the sliced onion and 1/2 tsp dried basil.
Repeat the first layer with the remaining tomatoes, onion, and basil.
Top with cheese mixture.
Add second crust, seal the edges, and cut slits in the top.
Bake for 45 minutes, checking after 30. Cover with foil if the crust browns early.

If you can wait to slice the pie, it will cool and the cheese won’t be as runny.


Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link love! You hit the nail on the head about what we're trying to be- all the fabulosity with none of the stress. :)

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home