MommySecrets

Being a mom is the hardest thing I've ever done, but it has brought me so much joy! I want to encourage other moms on their journey, I'll share motherhood tricks, spotlight tips I've learned from friends, and I hope you will share your ideas. I will focus on secrets that help families stay balanced, healthy, frugal, creative, and closely knit. I will also share favorite fiction and nonfiction books that I have enjoyed. Many blessings to you on your mothering journey!

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Homemade Snack Mix

My friend Shannon shared another great idea with me today. At the end of the long day at work, when she's trying to prepare dinner, her 3 girls often ask for snacks. Sometimes snack preparation feels a little overwhelming when you're trying to juggle a million mommy tasks, so Shannon found a solution.

After her Aldi shopping day, she makes a snack mix for the week. The snack mix is always different, but here's her basic guideline:
a bag of Aldi chex mix
a large bag of nuts (almonds, walnuts, peanuts...)
plain chex cereal (to soften the strong chex mix flavoring)
a big scoop of dried fruit (raisins, craisins, mixed fruit...)
some kind of treat (yogurt covered raisins, chocolate chips, m&ms...)

She puts the mix in a large container with a 1/2 cup scoop. When the girls ask for a snack, they are able to go by themselves to get a serving of snack mix (empowerment) and Shannon feels good about serving her kids a healthy snack with protein & fruit.

You could even take the empowerment a step further, by asking children to make the snack mix with you. You can take that time to educate them about healthy nutrition. "We put a big serving of nuts, because that's protein - do you know why we need protein? It helps keep our bodies strong and it gives us energy to learn and play." I love learning that just 'happens'!

Thanks for sharing Shannon

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home