MommySecrets

Being a mom is the hardest thing I've ever done, but it has brought me so much joy! I want to encourage other moms on their journey, I'll share motherhood tricks, spotlight tips I've learned from friends, and I hope you will share your ideas. I will focus on secrets that help families stay balanced, healthy, frugal, creative, and closely knit. I will also share favorite fiction and nonfiction books that I have enjoyed. Many blessings to you on your mothering journey!

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Mashed Potatoes

I love homemade mashed potatoes, but I always thought they were incredibly difficult to make. Here's a mommy secret - they're easy to make, very inexpensive and super yummy. If only they were healthy...

Kathy Troyer taught me & 8 other women to make these yummy mashed potatoes in a church cooking class 6 years ago. This is my recipe for Frugal Upstate's Collection of Frugal Bread, Potatoes, Rice & Pasta.


8 medium baking potatoes or large red potatoes
1 stick of butter
¼ c milk, approximately
1.5t salt

Wash and cube potatoes. (You can peel them if you want to, but the peels tenderize while boiling, so the dish works really well with unpeeled potatoes.) Place potatoes in a stock pot and cover with cold water. Add salt – taste to check saltiness of water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a slow boil. Boil 20 minutes, or until tender. Combine butter and milk, then heat in the microwave. Drain potatoes, then mix in mixer with butter and milk. If the consistency is too thick, add a little bit more milk. You can eat them plain, or top them with one of the following: cheddar cheese, roasted garlic, or dill.

Kathy uses the leftover potatoes to make potato cakes, for breakfast. She adds 10 crumbled saltine crackers, 2 eggs, and chopped onions (if desired). Stir to mix well. Brown by patties in non-stick pan. They sound good, but I haven't ever tried them.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home