MommySecrets

Being a mom is the hardest thing I've ever done, but it has brought me so much joy! I want to encourage other moms on their journey, I'll share motherhood tricks, spotlight tips I've learned from friends, and I hope you will share your ideas. I will focus on secrets that help families stay balanced, healthy, frugal, creative, and closely knit. I will also share favorite fiction and nonfiction books that I have enjoyed. Many blessings to you on your mothering journey!

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Practice the Presence of God

That's the quote that I wrote on a coaster that I made at a retreat with women from my church last spring. It summed up the message of our women's retreat on solitude, but the quote actually came from something I read by Brother Lawrence years ago.

The practice of the presence of God...” (Brother Lawrence, 17c)

This isn’t easy. Creating a stillness in your body, mind, and spirit takes amazing discipline and time. And it can only under the fountain of grace that flows onto the child who sits humbly at Jesus’ feet.

“The problem is not entirely in finding the room of one’s own, the time alone, difficult and necessary as that is. The problem is more how to still the soul in the midst of its activities.” (Anne Morrow Lindbergh, Gifts from the Sea)

So that's what I'm seeking today, amidst lots of little & big stressors on our family this week. I want to practice being in God's presence, sitting with him, sharing with him, listening to him, and absorbing his amazing presence. Even in the midst of chaos.

If you want to read more about creating stillness in the middle of life, I highly suggest Joanne Heim's book, "Living Simply: Choosing Less in a World of More"

From the back cover:
Has busyness become your way of life? Is your calendar full to overflowing? Are you more focused on your to-do list than our family? Overcommitted to activities that send you in different directions rather than bringing you together? You're not alone. And it doesn't have to be this way. It's not time to start over, but to start small. Joanne Heim offers hope for claiming the kind of life you dreamed of once upon a time. You'll discover how to choose less in this world of more, focus on one thing at a time, find ways to pull your family together rather than apart, and enjoy true abundance!

You can also read Joanne's blog here.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home