MommySecrets

Being a mom is the hardest thing I've ever done, but it has brought me so much joy! I want to encourage other moms on their journey, I'll share motherhood tricks, spotlight tips I've learned from friends, and I hope you will share your ideas. I will focus on secrets that help families stay balanced, healthy, frugal, creative, and closely knit. I will also share favorite fiction and nonfiction books that I have enjoyed. Many blessings to you on your mothering journey!

Sunday, January 21, 2007



Getting Dinner on the Table

I’ve discovered that if I don’t plan my dinner meals early, I am likely to find dinner preparation to be stressful. I will either default to a convenience meal (unhealthy choices like Hamburger Helper, frozen lasagna or pizza) or I will stress about finding something good to cook.

I know I function best in the kitchen when I sketch out a general menu of foods to cook throughout the week and make one thorough trip to the grocery store. I know that it’s least stressful if I choose our meals in the morning, do prep work for the meals during the children’s naptime, and put together last-minute meal details around 5pm. That gives me a half-hour window to get dinner in the oven before my husband gets home from work at 6:30.

I also give myself the freedom to let the kids watch a PBS show, if I need extra time for dinner prep. We don’t watch much TV during the day, so I refuse to let myself feel guilty about the luxury that might be the key to my sanity!

On this week's menu:
  • leftover chicken lasagna
  • tequila lime chicken wings (husband's favorite treat)
  • mexican halibut
  • pesto chicken pizza
  • spaghetti and meatballs

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have a hard time with dinner preparations, especially since both of us work. I keep telling myself I'll make the meals on the weekend and then have them all week. I've been telling myself that for years!
On top of us both working, I'm sleeping most of the time when I get home. I know I need to eat better but the time just slips away.
SC

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home