MommySecrets

Being a mom is the hardest thing I've ever done, but it has brought me so much joy! I want to encourage other moms on their journey, I'll share motherhood tricks, spotlight tips I've learned from friends, and I hope you will share your ideas. I will focus on secrets that help families stay balanced, healthy, frugal, creative, and closely knit. I will also share favorite fiction and nonfiction books that I have enjoyed. Many blessings to you on your mothering journey!

Wednesday, January 17, 2007


Two Story Time Savers

I grew up in a 2 story house with the laundry room in the basement. I never knew how much work that was for my mom, with her 4 children!

Our new house is two stories, so I'm trying to learn tricks for managing our home. Our house is designed with the living area downstairs and the bedrooms upstairs. Here are some things I've learned in my first 6 weeks here.
  • a diaper-changing station with diapers, wipes & extra clothes on each floor (I have 2 children in diapers)
  • a collection of plastic grocery bags on each floor (trashcan liners, stinky diapers, errands...)
  • basic cleaning supplies on each floor
  • a bag of rags on each floor
  • a pile at the top & bottom of the stairs for items that need to go up or down (I never climb the stairs empty-handed!)
  • 2 baby gates (I won't put these up 'til the baby starts rolling/crawling. I have one, but I haven't decided what kind to buy for the 2nd gate.)
  • pacifiers and blankets on each level
  • ask my 5-year old to run up/downstairs for me
  • take advantage of the exercise & run up the stairs on occasion
What are your favorite tricks? I'd love to learn from you!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're settling into the new house--and living to blog about it : ) Due to wiggly baby syndrome, I haven't been able to write a comment lately!

My grandparents always installed a laundry chute from one of the upstairs closets to the laundry room below.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Ann @TheAssetEdge said...

I love the idea of the laundry chute, but I have no idea how to build one! I'll have to do some researching...

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A basic medicine station on both floors is helpful when children are sick. (Benadryl, Dimetapp, Cough medicine, bandaids, neosporin and tylenol.)

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A laundry chute in our house was installed between two studs, with a metal door in the wall upstairs and a skinny metal chute that ended at the laundry room (directly below) and a basket to collect whatever was thrown down. Occasionally it would clog, b/c we threw down too many things at one time. Towels were especially tricky.

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home