MommySecrets

Being a mom is the hardest thing I've ever done, but it has brought me so much joy! I want to encourage other moms on their journey, I'll share motherhood tricks, spotlight tips I've learned from friends, and I hope you will share your ideas. I will focus on secrets that help families stay balanced, healthy, frugal, creative, and closely knit. I will also share favorite fiction and nonfiction books that I have enjoyed. Many blessings to you on your mothering journey!

Sunday, July 08, 2007

Pumping Proud

My youngest daughter celebrated her 9 month birthday last week, and I celebrated another milestone. I've been pumping breast milk for almost 9 months, because my daughter prefers the bottle. Those of you who have pumped milk will understand my pride about pumping 4-6 times each day. It's not fun or glamorous, but it's what has worked best for my little girl and our family.

I thought you would get a laugh out of hearing some of the funny places I've pumped this year. Unlike nursing discreetly under a blanket, pumpers have to find a private place with a plug! So far, I've pumped:

in airport bathroom stalls
driving to the beach
under the ticket counter at the ski slopes
in the storage room at church
in the back corner at an old country mechanic's shop
in the sound room at a wedding reception
in a meeting room at the YMCA
in the locker room at the YMCA
in the parking lot at the playground
at my husband's office
while posting this blog!

My goal is to keep it up for 3 more months - we'll see if I can make it!

Just call me a moo-cow,
ann :)

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Meredith said...

I am *really* impressed!

Pumping, bottling, and scheduling is hard work.

7:18 PM  
Blogger Alexandra said...

I did this with both children, one while I worked full-time and then with dd at home. I felt proud as well. It's a real chore, but worth it!

I lasted 12 months with each child. That seemed to be my limit, and it was the mininum APPA recommended length of optimal breastfeeding time for babies.

I still have my Medela Pump-In-Style which I can't seem to part with because of sentimental reasons. LOL. Attached to a breast pump!

Congrats on reaching your 9th month. :)

11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What encouragement! And to follow - up, you managed for a year. Way to go. It's only been 8 weeks for me. I love to nurse but thaere are times when pumping is just so much easier. It's made life on the go much easier too. My pump comes with a choose for batteries. Isn't that cool! I have a hand pump to and I use that constantly - I get a work out in my arms at the same time. :)

2:53 AM  
Blogger Blogger said...

I didn't manage to do direct feed, much to my disappointment. My son is now so used to bottle and I am trying very hard to pump regularly to ensure good supply for him. It's hardwork but really worth it. It's only been a month and I'm trying very hard to make sure I meet at least the 6 months milestone and ultimately the ONE YEAR MARK!

6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home